Friday, April 19, 2013

Moving to distant cities, or not


When visiting small cities, I try to imagine what it would be like to live there. I'm open to relocating, so this exploration is done with a level of seriousness. A friend had recommended Mobile to me, so I was particularly interested in what it might offer. The city is very small and therefore easy to navigate. The downtown area featured only a few tall buildings and a working port area. Downtown was linked to Mobile's main historic neighborhood, Oakleigh Garden, by a main street lined with businesses, including restaurants, bars, boutiques, and a fine used bookstore. There were also a number of well maintained park areas. Many of the historic buildings, mostly 2 storied, featured balconies with living or office spaces on the second level. The buildings, even the ones that were not being used, we're in good condition.

Stacy and I were thrilled to come upon a cafe that was across the street from a park. The restaurant had tables across the street along the sidewalk on the park side reminding me of the cafes in Europe. But what stood out more than anything was the service. No matter where we went, the people were friendly, beaming smiles and offering assistance. They seemed to thrive when we asked them endless questions about real estate, employment, places to check out, and the pros and cons of living in Mobile.

As a real estate junkie, I was most excited about our walk through Oakleigh. The streets were lined with adorable historic cottages and gardens with just the right amount of imperfection (no step-ford wives here!). And, at just the right time, after walking in the rapidly warming day, we came upon a fabulous neighborhood watering hole with decent food. The next evening, we returned to hear some live music.

In the end, I realized that Mobile would not likely become home for me. It is true that I could buy an adorable cottage in an amazing neighborhood, have a lush garden year round, and walk to downtown. But there was the "so what" factor. If there is one thing that I've learned on this journey, it is this: It is not about the real estate, the climate,or the job. The issues that I struggled with in Baltimore would simply duplicate themselves in Mobile.

Stacy and I discussed this at length. I'm convinced that there is a tremendous market of people feeling the same vague discontent with their lives, not to be confused with everybody, because it is dependent on many factors, including life stage and the presence of institutional structures such as religion, marriage, and culture.

Yet I am an American, able bodied, have a family, and have friends, and I would be the first to say that the "norm" is no longer working for me. And after spending a mere 3 months on the road I suspect that it will never work for me.

A part of this journey is about finding the alternatives. For now, I can cross home buying in a distant city off the list.










2 comments:

  1. Good stuff Trace. You are embodying Proust's assertion that it is not about new landscapes, but rather, having different eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The outfit in the fourth picture is 100% YOU! The boots especially!

    ReplyDelete