Thursday, January 8, 2015

Thailand, here I come!


In 1 day, I’ll be in Thailand.  For my first trip to Asia, I wanted something accessible.  When I asked on Facebook, my friends pointed me toward Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos.  But the timing on those organized trips did not work as well for me, so I booked Thailand.  Similar to Peru in 2013, I have designed an active trip that combines physically demandingactivities with  culture and retreat.   It is hard to top the Inca Trail, but I love the itinerary.  I’ll be trekking to small villages, biking through agricultural areas,, kayaking the River Kwai, staying with families, camping, and seriously roughing it.  I have spent a lot of time reflecting on my some of my best  travel experiences in life,  and there is a definite correlation between the authenticity of the experience and the richness of the experience.

The last time I checked in on this blog, I was driving the streets of Baltimore and contemplating my transitional existence in a city in transition.  My experience was more David Simon than John Waters or Barry Levinson.  And, I was tentatively making a connection between my newfound passion for agriculture and the streets of Baltimore through an ambitious grocery store, Apples & Oranges. 

Fast forward, I’m still transitional, but I’ve landed too.  After accepting a full-time position that has enabled me to live in my eastern shore waterfront cottage, I combine small town life with rural life. Agriculture continues to be a major focus for me and I've found a way to apply my community development skills in that arena.  

I'm looking forward to my full immersion into Asian culture. As a student of Eastern thought (mainly Chinese) for over 20 years, I've put this off too long. First stop, Bangkok. 



1 comment:

  1. Are you visiting or planning to live there? Either way have a wonderful time. Ted and I visited our daughter several years ago in China and stayed for three months. It was wonderful experiencing a different culture. If we were younger and healthier we would definitely consider moving there.

    ReplyDelete